Tuesday, January 10, 2012
16 gram HK motor winding
Currently the only thing stopping T-copter from flying is this flukey motor. It arrived with a broken wire, but luckily the break was somewhat exposed and I was able to solder it back together.
I somehow managed to break that connection and another while removing it from the antiquated tricopter frame. d'oh!
Being stubbornly frugal, and having never wound a stator before, I decided to try and rewind it rather than dropping a mere $9 on a new one.
The wonky motor wires on the left are held together with thread and superglue after the first surgery.
It was at this point when I realized I had very little knowledge of what all of this meant, so I begged Julian for help. He explained that the number of winds plays a part in determining how much torque the motor can produce. More winds means more torque, at the cost of top speed.
This time, I used 30 AWG magnet wire. It seemed a tiny bit thinner than what was originally used, but that should be okay, because it's presumably of higher quality than the shady wire that is used to create nine dollar motors.
A check with the multimeter says there are no shorts, and each of the resistances are the same. With any luck it will work. Testing report to come