Monday, May 14, 2012

Dorm chair mandolele

A while ago I spotted a broken chair in the basement.  I scavenged some oak from it, and finally got around to using it this past weekend.  In a one-night extravaganza of poor craftsmanship, I put this together.

The plan was to have eight strings, but I ran out at five.  Oh well, I'll finish it another night.  The resonator is a popcorn tin, the neck is from the chair.  Tuners are storebought, but crufted nonetheless from a CPW event.  The frets are chromatic.. except where I forgot one.  They're just glued on for quick assembly.  I'm not a huge fan of the sound that this has, perhaps it's because of the metal resonator.  Oh well.  Here's a video comparing it to the similarly sized ukulele from before.