Tuesday, September 4, 2012
I first saw these on youtube a while ago. They're lamellophones just like the mbira, except made out of wood. Having recently crufted some nice-ish wood, I traced out a pattern, figuring that if I made the tongues roughly different sizes, I could tune them later.
The coping saw sure is a nice tool. You can take the blade out and thread it through something (such as a drilled hole), creating a pocket.
After making a box for it to rest in/on, I tried it out with a rubber mallet. It's very quiet, almost inaudible. I think I'll have to thin out the base of each tongue to make them less stiff.
11/7/12 This project is shelved for a while until I get my woodworking situation worked out.